As the temperatures start to rise, it can be hard to figure out what to make for meals. The meal that won’t leave you feeling weighed down and overheated. If you’re looking to stay cool this hot season, look no further than these delicious and refreshing dishes! We’ll cover some of the best foods to serve in a hot season. From light and healthy salads to cool drinks and sweet treats. No matter the occasion, you’re sure to find something here that will keep you and your guests feeling cool and energized all season long.
When the temperatures start to soar, it’s important to choose appetizers that will keep guests cool and refreshed. Summer is the perfect time to take advantage of the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables in season. A platter of brightly colored fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, or pineapple make a great starter to any summer meal. You can also opt for cold veggie dishes like cucumber spears, celery sticks with ranch dip, or a colorful spinach salad.
Another great way to cool off is with chilled seafood. Dishes like crab salad, shrimp cocktail, or mussels with a light vinaigrette. For something with a little more heft, serve up some grilled vegetable skewers with pesto or a savory hummus dip. Finger foods like mini quesadillas, mini pizza bites, or egg rolls can also be served to appease any hungrier guests. No matter what you choose, make sure to keep your appetizers light and refreshing to keep everyone cool during the hot season.
When it comes to salads, the summer season is a great time to explore some lighter, more refreshing options. The heat can make us feel sluggish. A salad packed with vegetables and healthy fats can be just the thing to keep your energy up. Consider including some seasonal vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and zucchini in your salads for extra flavor and crunch. Adding fruits such as mangoes, oranges, and berries can also add a great sweetness and pop of color to your salads. For protein, try adding boiled eggs, grilled chicken, or roasted chickpeas. Finally, choose a light and flavorful dressing like a vinaigrette or yogurt-based dressing to top it off. With these simple ingredients, you can easily create a delicious and nutritious salad that’s perfect for hot days.
When it comes to main courses, there are plenty of options that won’t heat up the kitchen. Grilling outside is an ideal way to make delicious and flavorful meals without heating up the house. Here are some other great options for main courses to serve in a hot season:
1. Cold-Pressed Salad: Salads don’t have to be served cold; you can opt for a cold-pressed salad instead. Cold-pressed salads are prepared by layering vegetables, meats, and dressings in a jar and then pressing them together so the flavors meld. This method of preparation takes no time at all and results in a refreshing and delicious dish.
2. Veggie Wraps: Wraps are always a hit, and you can fill them with whatever combination of vegetables you’d like. The beauty of wraps is that you can make them ahead of time All you have to do when your guests arrive is pop them in the oven or on the grill until they are warm and crisp.
3. Grain Bowls: Another easy and light meal is a grain bowl. You can use any combination of grains you’d like, such as quinoa, farro, or wild rice. Then top with your favorite veggies and proteins, plus a creamy dressing or sauce of your choice.
4. Pesto Pasta: Pesto pasta is perfect for a hot summer night because it requires no cooking at all. Just combine your favorite pesto with cooked pasta, add some cherry tomatoes, olives, and parmesan cheese, and you’ve got a delicious meal.
5. Grilled Pizza: Pizza may not be the lightest option for summer meals, but it sure is tasty! Make your pizza on the grill for a smoky flavor that won’t require turning on the oven.
No matter what type of main course you choose to serve in the hot season, these dishes are sure to be crowd pleasers.
When the summer weather is hot and humid, it can be difficult to find a dessert that satisfies both a sweet tooth and keeps cool. While ice cream might seem like an obvious choice, there are many other delicious options for summertime desserts.
A light and refreshing option is fruit salad with a honey-lime dressing. To make this dish, combine fresh berries, stone fruits such as nectarines or peaches, and melon in a bowl. Add a squeeze of lime juice and a drizzle of honey to the mixture and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. Not only will this be a tasty end to a meal, but the bright colors and flavors will bring your plate to life!
If you’re looking for something a bit more indulgent, you can try making a no-bake key lime pie. The combination of tart limes and sweet condensed milk create a creamy texture that can’t be beat. To make this dish, mix condensed milk with the juice of 4-5 limes and pour it into a graham cracker crust. Freeze the pie overnight before serving.
For something a bit different, why not try mango sorbet? This easy-to-make dessert requires only two ingredients and makes a great summer treat. Start by pureeing ripe mangoes in a blender until smooth. Then freeze the puree for at least six hours before scooping into individual servings. For an added touch of sweetness, top with a sprinkle of sugar or a drizzle of honey.
No matter what your preference is, these delicious desserts will help keep you cool this hot season. With so many options to choose from, you’ll have no trouble satisfying everyone’s sweet tooth!